Who Owns Mercedes-Benz?
Wondering who owns Mercedes-Benz? If you’re curious about the ownership of Mercedes-Benz or simply want to know more about the history of Mercedes-Benz, the logo, or the luxury vehicles you drive around Sussex, Mercedes-Benz of Newton to share all of the information you’ve been searching for!
Who Owns Mercedes-Benz?
Daimler AG, formerly known as Daimler-Benz upon its founding, owns Mercedes-Benz. This company changed their name in 1998 after taking new ownership and owns:
- Mercedes-Benz AMG®®
History of Mercedes-Benz: Where it Started
- Co-founder Karl Benz produced the first car in history in 1886.
- Co-founder Gottlieb Daimler created the first gas-powered engine suitable for use in automobiles.
- In 1896, the world’s first truck is built by the Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft
- In 1901, the first Mercedes-Benz begins generating lots of excitement at the “Nice Race Week”
- In 1909, the brand registers both a three-pointed and four-pointed star as trademarks
- May 1924, DMG and Benz & Cie. enter into a joint venture and Daimler-Benz AG is established
Interesting Facts About Mercedes-Benz
Have you always wondered about the history of Mercedes-Benz? Mercedes-Benz was founded in 1926 by four individuals – Karl Benz, Gottlieb Daimler, Wilhelm Maybach, and Emil Jellinek. The latter got inspiration from his own daughter, Mercedes, for the original name of the brand. The group has been known to push the envelope when it comes to automobiles. A few other facts about Mercedes-Benz include:
- Mercedes-Benz is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, and has offices in 93 locations around the world.
- Mercedes-Benz models are manufactured in 17 countries on five continents and distributed worldwide.
- For the 1994 model year vehicles, Mercedes-Benz of Newton revised the naming system. This is when models were divided into “classes” by an arrangement of up to three letters (C-Class, CLA, etc).
History of Mercedes-Benz: Innovation
Over the years, Mercedes-Benz has made tremendous advancements in the automotive industry. For example, Mercedes-Benz developed the first crumple zone in 1959 and came out with Mercedes-Benz PRESAFE® technology in 2002. Additional innovations include:
- The first-ever fully independent suspension introduced on the Mercedes 170 in 1931
- Antilock Braking System first unveiled in 1970 and released in 1978
- Car-to-X Communication in 2016, which alerts drivers of road conditions and traffic patterns ahead of their arrival
- In May 2017, Mercedes-Benz partnered with Vivint Solar to develop a solar-energy home storage battery.
- Daimler AG will also be involved in launching Mercedes-EQ, a sub-brand focusing on electric, hybrid, and plug-in hybrid models based on a modular platform. These EQ models are expected to represent up to 25% of global sales by 2025.
- 2022 is expected to be the year that Daimler stated that the company will have invested $11 billion to ensure that every Mercedes-Benz model has a fully hybrid or electric version on the market.
Discover Your Mercedes at Mercedes-Benz of Newton
Head to Mercedes-Benz of Newton to discover even more about this rapidly growing, innovative brand, from what experts have to say about it to the advanced technologies such as Mercedes-Benz DISTRONIC PLUS®. Contact us if you have any questions or you’re looking to upgrade your ride to a new or used Mercedes-Benz vehicle.