What Is BlueTEC® Technology?
What is Mercedes-Benz BlueTEC® technology? In short, BlueTEC® is a combination of diesel technologies geared toward improved performance, better fuel economy, and lower emissions.
How Does BlueTEC® Work?
BlueTEC® relies on the following to achieve its goals:
- A fuel-injection system that optimizes fuel burn
- A balance shaft within the engine to reduce vibration
- An exhaust scrub treatment
- AdBlue, which is a liquid solution mixed with the exhaust to convert nitrogen oxide emissions into separate nitrogen and oxygen emissions
Benefits of BlueTEC®
Using an engine that used the BlueTEC® clean diesel technology yields the following perks:
- Fuel economy estimates that are 6 to 8 mpg better than similar gasoline-powered vehicles
- Ease of adaptation, since the technology can be utilized in many models on the Mercedes-Benz platform, such as the E-Class, the GLE, the GLK, and more
- Performance advantages, in terms of higher torque returns and greater towing capacities
- Environmental benefits, as breaking down the emissions into harmless elements makes for cleaner air